Monday, October 10, 2011

Re Re Re Recruitment!!

Hey y'all!  It's been a while since I blogged so I thought I would write something... life in the days of Joe have been pretty crazy the last month or so.  School started on campus at the beginning of September... yeah... I'm off track.  It's always interesting to listen to all my friends talk about all the homework they have to do and I get to remind them of all the things I have to get done by the end of the day... which include... eating... breathing... sleeping... and going to the bathroom...  so busy.  Actually I have managed to keep myself pretty busy.  Right before Labor Day I had a job... I worked for four days cleaning carpet for a local guy here and I expected to continue working for him once the semester started.  However, he has a phone allergy and I can hardly contact him to know when I can really start working.  So... I have a job... sorta... I haven't worked since Labor Day.  How Ironic.  So I think I've decided to get myself stuck twice a week with a needle and offer myself to the plasma gods... yay... 

Anyway, despite not having a job I have done a substantial amount of volunteer work for the school.  The week after Labor Day I was a part of a program on campus called Get Connected.  I was an I-Team leader and basically helped a group of new students get acclimated at school.  If you want to see the crazy side of Joe just place a bright orange polo on me and give me sign with a big picture of Chuck Norris on it... I'll do things you wouldn't normally think of me doing... like screaming like a girl in front of a couple thousand people and dancing ridiculously to a jump rope song.  Who knew right... 

After Get Connected I was called to serve on the Student Support Council that puts together Get Connected.  My position was a "Recruitment Coordinator" but now I'm called the "Outreach Coordinator" (my position was revamped)  It is my responsibility to make sure all the various programs have enough volunteers to function during the next semester.  It's been a lot of fun actually.  It's been like being back on the mission.  A couple weeks I've spent almost 30 hours doing recruitment related things like standing (or sitting) at a booth handing out flyers relating to Student Support.  I've also gone door to door handing out flyers.  It's always fun to knock on a door and try to make things as awkward as humanly possible.  Like mentioning the fact that the person who is knocking with you is single... then intentionally creating an awkward silence to let that sink in.  It gets more interesting when the person who opens the door says she likes awkward guys... then you proceed to offer her your partners number... then pause again for awkward effect.  Yeah, it happened.  Only it was my number that was offered.  I almost gave it to her.  I would have gone on a date with her.

Anyway, it's been a lot of fun serving with some super energetic and happy people.  It's quite contagious sometimes.  they also have great spirits about them.  We're always laughing and having a good time in the office.  Like today for example.  Apparently there is a Canadian Thanksgiving holiday and it just so happens it was today.  It also just so happens that our Area Directer is from Canada.  She came in to a nice big Canadian flag and we later had a Thanksgiving feast of Canadian Bacon, Swiss Cheese, and crackers.  I think we should pick a country everyday and name it that country's Thanksgiving, I could go for that every day.  But that's what goes on in the office all the time.  It's great.

As far as church is concerned I'm now one of the Gospel Doctrine teachers.  I really enjoy that calling.  They also recently formed a choir.  I was so excited during sacrament meeting that I did a little fist pump and whispered "YES!" only I guess it wasn't much a whisper because everyone heard it... then the first counselor proceeded to make it known to everyone that "Joe is excited too" it was fun.  As usual I'm pretty much the only tenor... I guess other people think it's too manly to hit those high notes and of course all the men don't really want to be men... they want to be cows (or bulls if you want to be anatomically correct)... but if that's what works for them then so be it.

When it's all said and done, all I can say is that my life is pretty much awesome.  I can't complain.  I have been blessed with so much I don't really deserve it.  But that's a day in the life of a Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment