Saturday, August 13, 2011

Off-Road Civic

So so far it's been a pretty interesting week.  Casey and I have our usual morning dream report and mumbling session.  I will not disclose Casey's dreams on this blog (younger children may read it, not that they are inappropriate, just disgusting)  I've been working out/running every day so I feel pretty good.  I also volunteered at a rehab center where I'm going to do a little presentation on Jamaica (because I know all about Jamaica...) it should be fun.  I'll also be reading to an older disabled gentleman.  Aapparently he likes to be read from some of the "LDS" stuff, but also from some of the "Seventh Day Adventist" stuff... that will be interesting.  Anyway, on to some more exciting things.  Yesterday I went with the institute out to Jackson and went to the Bar J Chuckwagon Supper.  It's a pretty sweet gig they got going on there.  Basically what it's an all you can eat country ho down (without the dancing).  What they do is load you up into big Barn.  I did the math (I had a long wait and got a little bored... yeah, I'm a nerd) and you can fit about 800 people in this place charging each of them 25-35 dollars a plate.  They do this every night from Memorial Day until Labor day totaling about 80,000 people over the summer. So basically, they make bank every summer.  When it's time for dinner they have you line up and then you go through a serving line where they SLOP (they may get a little on you) on a bunch of food on your plate.  When you are done eating that you can go back for seconds.  Following the dinner they have a little show where these cowboys get up and play their fiddles, guitars, basses, and banjos to some old country songs my grandmother probably has never heard of.  All the while cracking jokes.  It's actually a lot of fun.
 That night I ended up sleeping at a friends house in St. Anthony and we were going to go up to Table Rock today.  We ended up not going there and decided to try and find the Ice Caves instead.  You would think when directions to a place consist of passing over cattle guards and looking for piles of rocks that roads probably aren't all that great.  However that didn't stop me and my civic.  The Ice Caves are like that island in Pirates of the Caribbean that you can only get to if you already know where it is.  You turn immediately after you pass a 3rd cattle guard onto a little dirt road that could be easily mistaken for a small ditch on the side of the road.  Well we did find this "road" and turn onto it thinking (hoping) it would be just a smooth dirt road that would take us straight to the caves.  Well, it wasn't smooth, and it definitely wasn't straight.  It was filled with ruts and rock where I'm sure many a civic had lost a muffler, or popped a tire, or just plain died.  But not my civic.  You see, my civic (shirley is her name) is indestructible and will probably never die, even when I want it to.  She tackled that road like a beached whale inching along the shore with the tides.  I: spent 45 minutes maneuvering over the road, trying to avoid the tire paths. They were carved in and if I would have used them I probably could have passed for a 4 cylinder bulldozer.  However, the only thing that would have been dozed would have been my car.  I think I had a top speed of a blinding 4 miles an hour.  Somehow, we made it to the caves, which if you aren't careful you could drive into.  It's basically I giant rocky crater with a cave at the bottom of it.  It's called the ice caves because all the way through it you are walking on Ice.  Water apparently drained into the cave and froze leaving giant Icicles and walls of Ice all through out the cave.  It's actually pretty cool (no pun intended).  After gallivanting around the caves, trying not to get impaled by the rocks and ice chunks that hang down we headed back to the car and drove back, narrowly escaping with Shirley's life.  when we finally made it back to the road I checked her out just to make sure she still had all her fingers and toes and after re attaching the muffler, we headed back.  I don't recommend taking a civic that is only about 6 inches off the ground off roading... at least not on that "road."

No comments:

Post a Comment