Sunday, August 7, 2011

Bro-ness

Guys... are all alike, except for the fact that we are all different...  Some guys find it awkward, weird, or just plain "gay" to hug another guy or show any type of closeness whatsoever.  Others may not be so uptight and will welcome a hug from another guy (or perhaps more often initiate a hug).  Most probably fall somewhere in between.  In all cases however, I'd say guys aren't as "touchy" or "cuddly" with other guys as girls are with other girls.  I know many girls who find nothing wrong with cuddling together, laying together, holding hands or hugging each other.  Obviously then there is some hormonal differences between guys and girls that cause guys to be more distant from each other.  However, I feel other factors contribute to how close guys allow themselves to be to other guys.  Guys seem to have something called a "bro-meter" that measures their "bro-ness" as it relates to another guy.  How does it work? well, the higher the "bro-level" you have with another guy, the closer you are to them and the more likely you are to have some sort of physical contact (never, however, to the level of girls).  What contributes to a guys Bro-ness?  Well, What makes any type of relationship work?  Time, energy, sharing interests, mutual respect, listening, working together, having fun, and avoiding trying to date the same girl.  If effort is made in these areas, a guy will move up on the bro-meter.  When a guy achieves a high level of bro-ness with another guy, then suddenly it isn't weird to give a hug now and then, or even on occasion say I love you (the love I speak of is brotherly love).  And you know what, That's ok.  Why do I talk about this?  I find it interesting to observe how one guy (such as myself) may find it totally natural to hug one guy, but find it totally awkward to hug another.  I spent some time today with a Guy who I'd say is pretty high on my bro-scale, perhaps higher than anyone else, we've spent a lot time together (mainly before he got married, now... not so much), we have a lot of the same interests, we can talk about just about anything, and as far as I know, we've never tried to date the same girl.  I would feel comfortable giving him a hug just about any time and not think a thing of it.  On the other hand, there are my room mates...  They are great guys, and I don't have a problem with them (usually) but they aren't nearly as high on my bro-meter (no offense to them). We simply haven't spent as much quality time together, we haven't worked hard to really achieve something, or really had to rely on each other all that much.  Do we talk to each other, of course.  Do we occasionally share what we are feeling? Yes, but always at a distance.  Should that change?  Probably.  Will it? who knows.  Of course... there are the exceptions when for seemingly no apparent reason, your room mate comes in to your room and touches your ear... just to see if it would shock you then proceed to place bubble wrap on you face... For that I deduct 3 points off the bro-meter....  All in all, Bros will get close to other guys based on what level they are on their bro-meter.  For some guys, moving others up their bro-meter is quicker than for others, some have different ranges of where their meter extends, but I think all guys have a bro-meter of some sort.  Anyway, I've blabbed on and probably confused you all enough.  I'll leave at that and call it a night.  Until next time, keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment